Monday, January 11, 2010

Fit: My plan

Fit: Gotta have a goal and you gotta have a plan

In the next 6 weeks I’m going to get to 19% body fat. How will I achieve this amazing feat you ask? SHEAR WILLPOWER and DETERMINATION…ha ha ha LMAO… not so much. I’ll do it with a plan. And my plan is not that complicated, I’ll share it with you then break down why it’s going to work.


1) Eat mostly Paleo, 80% of the time (lean meats/seafood, veggies, nuts, some fruit, healthy fats, limited dairy, 4 glasses of red/week)


2) Plan for the other 20% (aka have something to look forward to)


3) Drink tea


4) Move with intention 4 times a week (crossfit session, 15-30 minute bodyweight metabolic conditioning, 2-3 mile jog, etc)


So, that’s my plan.

FIRST, let me say that my way of being, my lifestyle, has evolved over the years. Just the other day I was joking with T about how I use to eat buttered pop-tarts, That’s right I put butter on pop-tarts and called it breakfast. In addition to buttered pop-tarts I’ve tried many different workouts, diets, trends etc, kept what worked and dropped what didn’t. I’m a work in progress, constantly evolving. Based on where I’m at now, here’s why this plan will work for the next 6-10 weeks.


1) The food plan is pretty straight forward, no measuring (though I’ll be using proper portion sizes and am now able to actually feel when I’m full), no counting calories, no real limitations when eating out and there is room for fun


2) ROOM FOR “FUN”. It’s no secret I like to drink, eat cake, nachos and of course go to brunch (which involves pancakes, syrup AND powdered sugar oh yeah AND mimosas maybe a nice Bellini or 3). And really how fun can life be if you feel like you can’t do the things you want? I’ve worked long and hard to not have to deny myself…so I don’t. I just keep things in perspective and indulge in moderation (otherwise I don’t get the other things I want….being fit and feeling great). So I use the 20% for whatever strikes my fancy but will plan for it most of the time. Brunch on Sunday, a night out on Thursday… have things to look forward to helps me to stay on track and also feel in control. HOWEVER about 5% of that 20 is for spontaneity (um yeah I plan for spontaneity) a sudden invitation to pizza and pool or so that a crazy craving doesn’t have to go unanswered.


3) Drink tea. Ok so it’s good for several reasons, antioxidants, increasing water intake, upping metabolism (the green kind). BUT FOR ME, it’s a great replacement for wine. WHAT YOU SAY? YES, I SAY. Just like there are many varieties of wine to try, there are many varieties of tea. There is some ceremony around tea, just like wine…so I’m going to replace some of my home-based wine sipping with tea drinking. Also, I’ll be drinking my sparkling water and smoothies out of a wine glass (everything taste better out of stem ware)


4) Moving with intention. My body was made to move… and most likely yours was to. Once we get it moving, inertia kicks in, not literally, but you do want to keep moving and feel better when you move. So get started… and it doesn’t have to be “at the gym”. Yes I’m a trainer and yes the gym is where I got my start but it’s not the only option. I love the NFL Play60 promotion. As adults we can “play” to. Dance, bowl, run, skip, walk…whatever just get into motion and make an effort to sweat for at least 30 minutes a day. Personally I crossfit a few days a week, use a TRX at home, and try to work in a jog with T here and there (of course dancing and bowling as often as possible).


What’s your plan?

2 comments:

  1. Awesome plan! I have a similiar one for the new year. For nutrition, trying to be good most of the time (the Paleo type foods, appropriate portions, etc)... but definitely enjoying moderate indulgance once or twice a week.

    Fitness wise, i am committing to the P90X program. it takes on average about 75 minutes per day, 6 days per week. It's been challenging, but I like it so far because there is no guess work when it comes to my workouts. I just follow the DVD and push myself to get my heart rate up and feel the burn.

    Good luck everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. NICE MATT! Glad to see you've got a plan...PX90 is a good, fun and challenging workout!! Next time your in beantown I'll drag you to crossfit and we can see which you prefer :)

    ReplyDelete